Sunday, May 08, 2005

Do you feel sorry for Michael Jackson?


jackson
Originally uploaded by Rodsta.
It seems that iTunes Australia is imminent. It was Russell Crowe that spilled the beans when he said on radio that his latest grunt (sorry - song) will be available soon on the Australian iTunes. Which got me to thinking about the whole thing of buying songs off the internet for 99 cents. Why the hell would any one want to do that?

When I was a kid we just taped stuff off Casey Kasem's American Top 40. I think it was on Sunday mornings on 7LA where I grew up near Launceston, Tasmania. I guess this shows my age - but then I've done research on my demographic and I know that the average age of my blog reader is in the early 30s so I'm not that far ahead of you.

So anyway - there were heaps of songs that I use to listen to which either had Casey's voice breaking in at the end or the first sentence from some advertisement for a car yard. I think this added charm to the whole experience. But the best thing was that they were free and if we'd liked them enough not to tape over them the following Sunday we might actually buy a copy of the whole album.

Anyway, I know this has been said before but the iPod kills the whole experience that we use to enjoy. From carefully taking the album out of it's cover and blowing off the dust to sitting on the floor studying the lyric sheet while you listen to the song. CDs removed some of this pleasure but at least you still got a little booklet to read even if you couldn't get the damn thing back in the case without bending it in half.

I just had a look at the iPod site and the latest colour model can store 15,000 songs. Now. Tell me this. Who on this planet has 15,000 songs that they care enough about to want to have them with them where ever they go?

I'd have trouble finding 30...

But maybe that's why I haven't got an iPod. Maybe I'm missing something here.

And they've also cottoned on to one of my complaints so now you can store the Album Artwork on the thing. But nuh. I say. That just doesn't cut it. Anyone who's owned a copy of Michael Jackson's Thriller will know that the experience of unfolding the cover to it's full 90cm landscaped length to find a picture of your favorite pedophile lounging in a white suit stroking a real tiger was one of those defining childhood moments. It just wouldn't work on a 5cm LCD iPod.

Maybe that's why Michael doesn't sell as many records as he use to...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home